I am so grateful for other food sites, like Splendid Table, that post amazing and inspiring recipes. These recipes are often the catalyst for my kitchen adventures. The Baja-Style Cauliflower Tacos are phenomenal. They have the perfect amount of heat; slight crunch from the panko/coconut breading, and a soft earthy flavor of the cauliflower.
While I did not make the slaw in the recipe, I opted for a similar one with a pre-made chipotle-tomato dressing. I also served the tacos with this delicious Tomato Rice.
I also changed the process of where I added the spice – I put most of the spice in the breading mix, leaving the coconut milk plain. The downside to this was if the breading fell off, the cauliflower was a bit more bland.
- 1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 c panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 head cauliflower (1 pound), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Corn tortillas, warmed
1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Mix coconut, panko and spices in a bowl, set aside.
2. Whisk coconut milk. Dip the cauliflower into coconut milk mixture; coat well.
3. Once cauliflower is coated with coconut milk, roll in the seasoned panko/coconut topping. Place on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning cauliflower pieces halfway through.