I had never made, let alone eaten, cabbage rolls prior to this recipe. A minor challenge in making this is that I have nothing to compare them to.
This meal was made at the request of my partner who grew up eating this dish. Traditionally it is made with rice and ground beef. I found a recipe via Connoisseurus Veg that contains lentils and quinoa, which sounded delicious to me!
I liked this recipe, but I didn’t love it. It felt a little bland. I would like to try making it with veggie crumbles, and incorporate different herbs and seasoning. This recipe is still worth trying out. Like I said, I am not as familiar with this dish and am open to exploring it!
- 1 head of cabbage
- 3/4 c brown lentils
- 3 c water
- 1/2 c uncooked quinoa
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Tbls oil
- 1 Tbls red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbls tamari
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 jar pasta sauce
1. Boil the cabbage in water until outer leaves are tender
2. Cook the lentils in 3 cups of water; cook the quinoa in 1/2 cup broth
3. Saute onion in oil. Once the lentils and quinoa is cooked, add to the onion and stir in vinegar, tamari, and paprika. Let the mix cool
4. In a pan, add a layer of pasta sauce (I used my favorite jarred pasta brand)
5. Add lentil/quinoa mix to the roll, roll up like a burrito, place on top of pasta sauce. Once all rolls are in the pan, add another layer of sauce.
6. Bake, covered, at 350 for one hour