I love mac and cheese so much. Every time I make it, it seems to come out a little different, and I’m ok with that. This time I used the rest of my Daiya cheddar block. It was awesome, but it made way too much. I’d suggest halving the recipe, unless you have a huge party to feed.
Daiya Mac N Cheese
- 1 lb box of macaroni noodles
- 3 Tbls vegan butter
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 c plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3-4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 block Daiya cheddar, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to box
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan, add in paprika and nutritional yeast
- Next, add in garlic, onion and mustard powder, and milk, bring to a boil
- When boiling, add cheddar. If the consistency isn’t thick enough, add in the cornstarch
- Once you have the desired consistency, pour over noodles. I topped mine with leftover Tofurky. Enjoy!!
I’ve got a lot on my plate right now, but I wanted to get a blog out. Every now and then we need a comforting meal that’s quick and easy. Tonight I made a grilled pickle and cheese sandwich with Trader Joe’s sandwich sliced pickles and Daiya cheddar cheese. A sandwich like this must be served with a tomato soup. I used Dr. McDougall’s Roasted Red Pepper Tomato soup. It hit the spot!
Veg suburbanites rejoice! You no longer must trek to Minneapolis or St. Paul for a slice of veg heaven. Fresh Picked Pizza is a pizza joint located in Shoreview. While their crust may/may not still contain honey, their red sauce is vegan and they have great topping options including Daiya ‘cheese.’
I’ve been there a few times and have yet to be disappointed. The price is right ($5.49 for a personal sized pizza – $1 more if you want Daiya) and you can grab a punch card for a future free pizza. Also, if you don’t feel like dining in you may opt for a take-and-bake pizza.
I know Minneapolis/St. Paul has great shops like Luce and Galactic, but if you are ever on this side of town, definitely stop in and check it out.
Tuscan Pizza with Daiya (no feta)
I haven’t had much luck creating dishes on the fly until this one. I came across a recipe for a toasted quinoa and veggies dish, but when it came time to make it, I couldn’t find the recipe anywhere. So, I made do with what I could recall from memory (which ends at toast quinoa for 5 minutes. Everything turned out really well. I will definitely make this again!
Smokey Quinoa with Summer Squash
- 1 c quinoa
- 2 c water
- oil (I used sunflower)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 summer squash, quartered
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 jar pasta sauce
- 1/2 c Daiya cheese
- Toast quinoa for 5 minutes
- In a separate pan saute onion, after a few minutes add in squash and cumin
- When veggies are tender add the toasted quinoa, water and sauce
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until quinoa is cooked
- Add Daiya and let sit until melted. Serve with steamed veggies. Enjoy!
**UPDATE: Lol, found the site I was looking for! It’s a FoodPress blog called Baking with Basil. I wasn’t that close with the ingredients and process, but oh well. I made do!