Perfect recipes are hard to come by these days and often involve rounds of trial and error to weed out the less than perfect recipes.
Once Upon a Chef has the best cornbread muffin recipe I’ve tried thus far. The muffins are moist and full of flavor. Each bite you get some sweetness from the honey, a little texture from the cornmeal, and richness from the butter. I also jazzed up 6 of the muffins by adding a little cheddar. I think they would be good with jalapeño or fire roasted corn!
Next time I bake these, I would like to replace the chicken’s egg and use a flax egg (1 Tbls flax, 3 Tbls water for one egg) and see what happens. You could easily swap dairy butter for non-dairy butter.
Recipe courtesy of Once Upon a Chef
- 3/4 c yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1 Tbls baking powder
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbls honey
- 3/4 c milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Add-ins like cheddar or jalapeño!
- Mix the dry ingredients, set aside
- Combine the wet ingredients, and pour the wet ingredients into the dry
- Stir until major clumps are gone, if using add-ins, add them in!
- I followed the main recipe and opted out of the muffin liner. Instead, I sprayed the muffin pan with cooking spray
- Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes