What a fun twist on the classic spaghetti and meatballs! I really enjoy working with traditional recipes and finding ways to get creative with them. This meal is completely plant based and is very easy to make.
First, I roasted a spaghetti squash at 400F until it was tender. Then, I set this aside to cool.
Then, I made the sauce – I used a jar of my favorite sauce and added some mushrooms that were sautéed in red wine and garlic, mmm!
For the lentil patties and parmesan, see the recipe below…
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbls flax plus 3 Tbls water)
- 1 1/2 c lentils, cooked
- 1 Tbls Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbls tomato paste
- 5 Tbls cashew parmesan (see below)
- bread crumbs
- In a food processor, pulse all ingredients together until ingredients reach a dough-like consistency. I had to use about 1/4 c of breadcrumbs because my mixture was too wet
- Scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture and form into a patty. Add oil to a skillet and fry each side of the patty
- Once the patties have slightly browned, put them on a cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 15 minutes
- 3/4 c raw cashews
- 3 Tbls nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pulse everything in a food processor until you reach a desired texture.