Winters in Minnesota are brutal. Soups and stews are my go to meals for the next 4 months. I was inspired by a recipe from Budget Bytes. Feel free to omit the fish sauce or make a vegan fish sauce. You can also try subbing in Worcestershire for the fish sauce as well.
I particularly like this Red Curry Soup – it has some heat and is loaded with veggies and protein.
I layered my soup with what I had on hand – basmati rice, spinach and tofu:
The tofu was marinated in a mix of grated ginger, minced garlic, mirin, shoyu/tamari, curry paste and some maple syrup. Then I fried the tofu cubes in coconut oil.
My soup had a few different veggies. Here is the recipe I followed:
- coconut oil
- 3 small sweet peppers, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- grated ginger
- minced garlic
- red curry paste, approximately 1 Tbls
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 c vegetable broth
- Saute diced peppers, sweet potato, and onion for 5-7 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and curry paste, cooking for another 1-3 minutes
- Once spices are fragrant, add the coconut milk and 2 cups of veggie broth. Cover and simmer until veggies are fork tender
- In a separate pan, fry the marinated tofu. If using spinach, saute in the same pan as the tofu
- Layer ingredients in a bowl and top with the soup