I had the privilege in teaching a cooking class a few weeks ago and one of the meals I prepped was a Raw Kale Caesar Salad. The recipe I made tonight is slightly different than the one I made for the class. It turned out really well. The key is a strong amount of cracked black pepper.
If you aren’t keen on raw kale, feel free to steam or sauté for a few minutes. However, you may be surprised at how well a little salt, oil and elbow grease can tenderize the kale pieces. Either way, this is a great recipe to try out!
– 1 bunch of lacinato kale
– 1 avocado
– juice of 1 meyer lemon
– 1 tsp vegan Worschestire sauce (Annie’s is a great brand)
– 1-2 Tbls nutritional yeast
– 3/4 c water
– 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
– 1/2 tsp sea salt
– 2 cloves garlic
– a lot of cracked black pepper (I just did an add to taste, but I used quite a bit)
– green onion for garnish
1. De-stem the kale and tear into bite size pieces. In a large bowl, add a little oil and salt to the kale pieces. Massage generously for 5-10 minutes until the kale is tender. Rinse the oiled kale, drain and return to a clean bowl
2. In a food processor/blender, puree all of the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing amount over kale until all of the pieces are coated (*If you like a well dressed salad, use all of the dressing, otherwise use about half and test it out)
3. Top with chickpeas or any other desired protein to make this a complete meal