Well, I did it, I made my first ‘raw’ cracker. It was quite the experience. I pulled out my dusty dehydrator and prayed to the raw gods that this trial didn’t blow up in my face…literally. See, I have this weird concern that my dehydrator will somehow go on the fritz while I’m sleeping and burn my house down. I know, cuckoo. Seriously though, who leaves an appliance on for 8 hours?!
Okay, so aside from my irrational cooking concerns, the raw gods were on my side. The crackers weren’t a total fail, but have room for improvement. I may have slightly overcooked them as they turned out a bit fragile and crumbly. However, the flavor and texture are spot on.
Here is how you go about making a raw cracker…
– 1 1/2 c raw almonds (soaked for at least 4 hours beforehand)
– 1/4 c ground flax + 3/8 c water
– 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
– 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
– 4 halves of sun-dried tomato, finely chopped
– salt if you want it
1. Drain almonds and pulse in a processor until you get a grainy consistency
2. Mix all ingredients together. Spread flat on a dehydrator sheet and heat at 145F for 45 minutes
3. Remove and cut into desired shapes. Return to dehydrator, change temp to 105F and heat for 4 hours. Depending on the desired firmness, let sit in the dehydrator longer if you’d like. I let mine sit overnight at the lowest setting, 95F. Not sure I would recommend that. Play around with this part!