Chickpea salads are awesome. They are quick, light and refreshing, and are packed with protein. Another bonus is you really can’t mess them up. Chickpeas provide a neutral base to which you can add any spices and herbs that you are craving.
Tonight, I kept it simple and went with a more traditional flavor profile. The recipe was enough for two wraps and a salad. It’s a perfect meal for lunches throughout the week or a late night, oh my god I need to eat right now, dinner.
- 1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 green onions, chop green parts (or white if you want a stronger flavor)
- 1/4-1/2 c vegenaise
- 1 tsp-1 Tbls yellow mustard
- pepper to taste
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork to a desired consistency. I usually like a little chunk left in mine
- Add in the celery and green onion
- Start slow with the condiments, taste to your liking (I usually go heavy on the mustard and light on the mayo)
- Serve on a salad, wrap, sandwich or eat on its own!