Tonight was a mac and cheese night. Rather than hitting up my go-to box brand, I made a batch from scratch. I made it on the fly, not following a recipe or measuring in exactness, but the details below are as close as it’ll get. Definitely give it a taste and see what you think. I for one was not disappointed.
Baked Shells and Cheese
- 8 oz medium-sized shells
- 1/2 block of Daiya cheddar cheese
- 1 c plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 Tbls nutritional yeast
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1/4 c of bread crumbs
- Cook shells according to package
- Make sauce by cubing the cheese and adding it to a pot along with the milk and butter. Bring to a simmer
- Once cheese is melting, add in nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. When you see a melded consistency, add to the noodles, stir
- Now you can leave it here, or you can put the noodles in a greased 8 x 8 pan, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 325F for about 15 minutes
This can serve one, if you are insanely hungry. I opted to split it up and served it with healthy grilled asparagus. Mmmm. Now, go eat!