When I hear Bourguignon, I think of Julia Child. Unfortunately the recipe from her contains beef (or Boeuf). Luckily, there are some creative vegetarians and vegans out there and I couldn’t have been more thrilled to see this Mushroom Bourguignon recipe from Deb Perelman. I don’t know how it serves four though. It served myself and two guests and I have at least two or three meals left over. I didn’t modify much, it’s a great recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 2 Tbls Earth Balance butter, softened
- 16oz portobello mushrooms, 16 oz white mushrooms, in 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 carrot, finely diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c red wine
- 2 c vegetable broth
- 2 Tbls tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 Tbls all-purpose flour
- 1 c pearl onions
Steps for Bourguignon:
Heat the one tablespoon of the olive oil and one tablespoon of butter in big pot over high heat. In small batches, sear the mushrooms and pearl onions until they begin to take on a little color, but the mushrooms do not yet release any liquid — about three or four minutes. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Lower the flame to medium and add the second tablespoon of olive oil. Toss the carrots, onions, thyme, a few good pinches of salt and a several grinds of black pepper into the pan and cook for 10, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for just one more minute.
- Add the wine to the pot, scraping any stuck bits off the bottom, then turn the heat all the way up and reduce it by half. Stir in the tomato paste and the broth. Add back the mushrooms and pearl onions with any juices that have collected and once the liquid has boiled, reduce the temperature so it simmers for 20 minutes, or until mushrooms are very tender.
- Combine remaining butter and the flour with a fork until combined; stir it into the stew. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 more minutes. If the sauce is too thin, boil it down to reduce to the right consistency. Season to taste.
- Serve over mashed potatoes
Ingredients and Steps for potatoes:
- 9 baby red potatoes
- 1 Tbls Earth Balance Butter
- 1/4 c plain soy milk
- Quarter potatoes and boil until fork tender
- Drain the liquid, return to pot, begin to mash
- Heat the butter and liquid in a sauce pan. Add to mashed potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste