Pickles are one food I could never live without. I love them in everything, from sandwiches to pizzas to beer. They are the ultimate staple! You’d think I’d have made millions by now, but I haven’t. In fact, this was my first pickle recipe I ever attempted and I must say, it’s pretty spectacular. Next time I’d use a bit less pepper and maybe throw in some red pepper flakes. I’d also consider reducing the salt content just a smidge.
I highly recommend you try this out!
- 1/8 cup fresh dill
- 8 garlic cloves, whole or sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup salt (necessary to preserve)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbls turmeric (optional for color)
- 3 cucumbers, sliced into 1/3-inch rounds (add last)
Stir all ingredients except the cucumber together in a large bowl. Add the cucumber slices and place something heavy (like a plate) on top in the bowl so that the cucumbers stay submerged under the surface of the liquid. Cover the bowl with a cloth to keep out bugs. Let the cucumbers marinate at room temperature for 3 days. Refrigerate when ready.
And here’s a pretty butterfly who happened to be posing ever so nicely while I was photographing the pickles.