If you are looking for a go-to chocolate cake recipe, look no further. I’ve come across the perfect one. With just a handful of ingredients, this cake can be made with some of your most basic foods that are in your pantry right now. Also, you don’t need any funky pans or equipment. I cannot say enough good things about this recipe. Take a gander and print/bookmark this page right now!
Midnight Chocolate Cake (derived from Vegetarian Times)
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1 2/3 c sugar (divided)
- 1 1/3 c cocoa (unsweetened and divided)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c soymilk (divided)
- 1/3 c plus 1/4 c canola oil (divided)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 9″ round pan with parchment. Spray parchment with cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, 1 c sugar, 2/3 c cocoa, baking soda and salt.
3. Now whisk together wet ingredients: 2/3 c soymilk, 1/3 c oil and 1/2 c water.
4. Add to the dry mixture and once everything is mixed together add the batter to the pan.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Perfect time to take a little cat nap
6. After your nap, take the cake out and let it sit for a few minutes.
7. For the frosting, over medium heat add 2/3 c cocoa, 2/3 c sugar and 1/4 c oil in a saucepan. Then, add in 1/3 c soymilk. Cook for a minute or until the icing smooths out. Spread over the warm cake and top with walnuts. Enjoy!
Niece tested and approved!