I came across this recipe on the Post Punk Kitchen page. These lentil tacos are a nice change of pace from TVP or crumbles. Enjoy!
Ancho Lentil Tacos
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked lentils (from about 1 cup dried)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chile
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all of the ingredients for the spice mix and set aside. (keep a cup of water within reach, you’ll need to add splashes as you cook)
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sautee the onion and garlic in the oil with a pinch of salt for about 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Add spices and toss them for 30 seconds or so to toast.
- Lower heat to medium, add lentils, a few splashes of water, tomato paste and hot sauce; use a spatula to mash them a bit as they cook, until they hold together. If your spatula isn’t strong enough to accomplish this, just use a fork. Do this for about 5 minutes, adding splashes of water as necessary if it appears dry. Taste for salt and seasoning, add spices as needed.