Cooking for my parents is always a treat. I am often reminded of the Kix commercial, “Kid tested, mother approved…” or however it went. Memorial weekend has historically been one involving grilled foods. This year I took control of the kitchen and made these fabulous mushroom burgers!
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds of mushrooms, roughly chopped (combination of crimini, shiitake, and Portobello)
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 egg replacers
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the mushrooms, onions and garlic over medium heat for about ten minutes, or until the liquid boils off and the mushrooms begin to sauté.
- In a large bowl, add the mushroom mixture to the oats, soy cheese, breadcrumbs, egg replacers, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Allow to sit for fifteen minutes to develop the flavors. Shape into patties.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large, non-stick skillet, over medium heat. Fry patties, cooking about five minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Fryin’ em up!…
Thumbs up, clean plate clubbers!