Despite being MIA the past few weeks, I have no doubt been cooking and eating up a storm. I recently visited one of my favorite cities, Madison, WI, where I enjoyed testing out new eateries such as The Spot, Alchemy, and Marigold Cafe. All were pretty good, but the latter two were especially great.
Last night I whipped up a batch of these awesome bars. Yet, I must warn you, these are far from healthy and are quite addicting. With that in mind, these are great for gatherings and are a total hit with non-veg folk. It is reminiscent of a scotcheroo or special-k bar. Definitely worth trying!
- 1 package (16oz) Nutter Butter cookies
- 4 1/2 c puffed brown rice/rice crispies
- 1 c corn/brown rice syrup
- 1 stick butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 c lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c unsalted peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. In a food processor, chop the cookies into a crumble
2. Add Nutter Butter cookie crumble with the puffed rice and set aside
3. In a small pan, melt the butter and then add the corn syrup and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add peanut butter and vanilla
4. Once all of the sauce ingredients have blended together, add to the cookie/rice mixture
5. Transfer into a greased 9×14 pan and chill in the freezer. After the bars set you can add the optional topping
6. Topping: Melt 1/2 bag of chocolate chips on the stove. Spread on top of the bars. Let cool and harden before cutting